Sunday, May 24, 2009

Go Green



In continuation of the pantry cleaning story, I also found a small delicately decorated jar of green tea, Matcha powder which i bought when I was in Japan few years ago. I have no idea what i want to do with it at the time, and I can't really appreciate the strong and bitter matcha serve to me during the tea ceremony, but i bought it anyway because it the packaging is too pretty. In fact, all the food packaging are super pretty and delicate and make fantastic homecoming gifts. However, I could not make up my mind when surrounded with all these pretty packages I ended up buying packages of mochi, biscuits, polka and other oh too pretty Japanese sweets that can't fit into my luggage bag. I still remember we're desperately trying to get a extra box ( so they dun get squash as some of the packaging is quite delicate ) to pack them, and not a lot of Japanese understand us in Takayama, but we later learnt a new word: Box = Haku in Japanese, and very soon, we're giving a medium size box to pack our shoppings!




In the recent cold and wet weather, my original intention was to bake something richer and comforting but I ran out of milk, yoghurts and cream, all the essential ingredients to bake a cake or something warming. There is no way I'm going out to the shop when the rain was pouring outside, so I have my eyes fixed on the delicate jar of matcha powder and make the easiest green tea cookies ever. In fact, so easy that the method would only consits of 1 sentence. You'll see.



Green tea Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 80g butter, soften
  • 40g sugar with extra
  • 1/2 tsp matcha powder
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 140g plain flour
Method:
  1. Combine everything together until it forms a dough, chilled it in the fridge for 15 mins, rolled out and cut with cookie cutter, sprinkle with extra caster sugar, bake in preheated oven (160 degree Celsius, lesser if fan force ) for 15mins.( depending on the thickness too! )
  2. While still hot and soft, sprinkle more caster sugar on top and cool on wire rack, it'll become crispy and firm up while cooled, enjoy it before serving to anyone, or else you'll surely missed out as they taste like manna from heaven!



OK, so it's more than 1 sentence, but still, it's really easy cookie with a big taste!

No comments: